Laser Cutting Tools
Laser Technology used for P&A in the UK
- ConocoPhillips has been using laser cutting tools, developed in partnership with Foro Energy, for offshore multi-string conductor cutting and surface boring and sectioning.
- Technology advantages include efficient deployment of conductor severing and surface sectioning platforms and the potential for rigless conductor cutting in the future.
- Rig time reductions of 20 - 40%, with associated cost savings, have been achieved in comparison to traditional mechanical / abrasive cutting methods.
- Comprehensive QA/QC auditing with COP hold points prior to deployment is a vital part of deployment and execution procedures and has resulted in trouble free operations.
- Future deployment in the UK Southern North Sea will be run in offline configuration, increasing cost savings potential.
- Down-hole conductor cutting during recent Viscount deployment has resulted in 8 of 9 cuts confirmed and 100% success rate with surface cutting advancing the technology into a commercial ready state
Viscount Deployment (UK SNS)
- Trouble-free operation
- Down-hole conductor cutting: 8 of 9 cuts confirmed
- 100% Success Rate with Surface Cutting
- Estimated Rig Time savings 20 to 40%
For More Information:
Manager, Technology Value Optimization